The Truth About Waist Training

Posted on Jul 23 2014 - 9:59am by somayar

Waist Training

Do I really need to discuss this with you guys? I’m used to being the “bad guy” when it comes to keeping it REAL. So. Lets begin this heated debate. I say heated because everyone gets extremely negative towards me when I speak the TRUTH about this stupid gimmick FAD that has exploded on the internet lately. Not to mention the people that sell it and have started movements involving these waist cinches. I aint’ mad at the hustle. I get it. It is their hustle. But wow, to compromise integrity by offering dangerous products for the all mighty dollar? Sorry. I can’t vibe with that. Boy oh boy if you could see the hate comments, and emails these people send me for exposing their scam. Hey boos, I know you guys are reading my blog. STOP LYING TO PEOPLE FOR A QUCK DOLLAR! You are setting these people up for failure. You are helping in the development of body dysmorphia and depression in these impressionable individuals. Shame on you.

So let me get to the point. First of all, let me tell you how I personally know about this. Just to shut anyone down who wants to say “have you even tried it?” Why yes honey. I have! You do remember I am a recovering body dysmorphia & eating disorder addict right? For those that don’t know my past history. I have been suffering yoyo weight gain/loss from multiple eating disorders beginning at an early age, as a young teenager. I have abused laxatives, tried every get skinny quick diet, harsh fasts, harsh detoxing, and even insane gimmicks like waist training. So lets get to the point.

For almost two years (mostly the first) I wore an aggressive corset up to 16-18 a day. Being someone who has suffered from body dysmorphia, anything extreme or a “quick fix” like this was my type of thing. It didn’t matter the consequences, I wanted more more more! I measured myself from day 1, ate clean, worked out, and wore my corset day in and day out. You know what it did for me? NOTHING! I even had some of my friends do it with me. You know what it did to them? NOTHING! Well sort of. It made me/us depressed, scarred my body pretty bad, hurt my breathing and bowels. The fact that I wasn’t seeing “immediate” results as they promise depressed me. I kept hoping for my “quick fix” and it just wasn’t happening. But what it was doing was keeping me constipated, scarred my body pretty bad, I had breathing problems, it gave me rashes, welts, bruising,  it was breaking my skin apart! Asides from the depression it was causing, this was the stupidest idea I have ever tried. One of many, because i’ve tried many. Yet I am sure many of you will still try it. smh

It saddens me to see many women of influence accepting a check and promoting waist training to their audience knowing damn well THAT CRAP IS GARBAGE and they’re doing it for a paycheck! With the exception of a few. Recently a big celebrity friend of mine asked me if it worked? She genuinely had no clue but she like many said that they offered money to endorse it. I told her no it doesn’t work but to try it for herself because I don’t want to be the “big bad wolf” and shut it down. She did for a few months and came to me and says WOW THIS CRAP DOES NOT WORK and that her body was always uncomfortable. She declined the offer. I commended her for being a woman of integrity and saying no to endorsing it.

If you think I am being too harsh, I can post hundreds of screen shots of the offers I get to promote “waist training!” Really good zeros attached to these emails. Upwards of one company offering me 100k and a partnership to launch them. Sorry but NO! I will never endorse such  scam that is harming your mind and body into believing that you can get a 21 inch waistline just by “cinching” your waist. Even with proper diet and exercise the answer is NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Real fitness trainers and I say “real” because all of a sudden everyone has jumped on the health & fitness bandwagon and has decided to become a “trainer!” **side eye** Real trainers will side eye the hell out of this subject and laugh at it. It’s so ridiculous I can’t even believe that you guys fall for it. Yes there have been people who wore it for 5 – 10 years straight and their ribs adjusted and made their waistline smaller. Back in the Victorian days this was a common method proved to bring down the waistline 2-3 inches by wearing it for YEARS! Really? Is that ideal? Do you really believe this is the way to go about life? Why not just eat healthier and workout and gain permanent results that are not harmful? Wearing these corsets can and WILL lead to eating disorders and extreme body dysmorphia.

Now wanna know something that corsets are good for? Looking cute & curvy in a sexy dress and in sexy photo shoots 🙂 Ok see, I said something nice about it. Latin moms will tell you that after birth to wear a corset for a month due to your tummy muscles being stretched out. It’s not a bad thing if it’s the cloth kind like I am going to explain. There are some cloth style corsets that are GREAT and I wouldn’t be opposed to you wearing them while working out. But, they are not tight to a point where you feel uncomfortable or feeling like it’s harming you. They serve well for proper posture and make you feel great when you workout because you stand straight and it tucks your tummy in. Some of my fitness girlfriends wear them while working out too. They are not bad for that reason only. I’ll be on the search to see if I can find a company that sells those “non harmful” styles for you guys. I have seen them and recommend ONLY those. But they are not for weight loss or a quick fix. Great for posture and keeping you tucked in while working out.

Please my loves listen to what i’m saying. I’m not trying to shut down your dreams of a smaller waistline or losing weight. They don’t work, break your wallet and are really bad for your health. Sorry if this TRUTH offends anyone, well actually NO I AM NOT SORRY! This is not the way to go about weight loss. Don’t be fooled, don’t spend your hard earned money. My “realistic approach to fitness” has proven to work for many people across the globe. It’s not hard. You just have to be willing to try. I know it SUCKS to hear this. Trust me, when I figured it out for myself I was also sad, pissed and disappointed. Fast forward to now, I’m happy to know the truth so I don’t have to subject myself to the disappointment and harmful mental/physical effects that waist cinching brings. I’d never BS you. Trust me, I don’t benefit by telling you NOT to wear one. I could be endorsing these products and getting MAJOR PAY for it. But I pride myself in having integrity and sharing a REALISTIC approach to fitness. Sorry but “waist training” is not realistic.

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL JUST THE WAY YOU ARE! Altering your waistline won’t make you anymore awesome because you already are 🙂

Con Amor,

Somaya Reece

If you or anyone you know is struggling with an eating disorder, please call the National Eating Disorder helpline 1 (800) 931 – 2237

20 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. April July 23, 2014 at 10:31 am - Reply

Somaya! thank you for sharing. I see this waist slimmer being sold all over my instagram even people i know are doing this. I myself am guily of doing this “get skinny fast” plan by doing this extreme detox that has had me constipated weak and starving!
    After reading this i have decided to stop and just eat clean food, small portions. like you said its not hard but i wanted to lose weight fast but really its not worth it at all. this blog is a real eye opener for me. today i am going to stop this crazy detox and start new again for the 30th time. I see your posts on instagram everyday… i guess lately i have seen so many posts about your challenges lately that deep down inside i wanted to join instead i was doing this BS detox.

• somayar July 23, 2014 at 12:53 pm - Reply

Don’t worry boo! We’ve ALL been there. Just take your time and follow my blog along with proper eating and working out. I promise you will be just fine 🙂

2. Emily Pinchback July 23, 2014 at 11:01 am - Reply

Thank you sooooo much Somaya! I have been looking around for a waist trainer because of all the hype out there. I wanted to try it until I just read your post! Love you lots and keep up the good work!

• somayar July 23, 2014 at 12:52 pm - Reply

No reason to honey. You can achieve the same results with proper eating and working out. I’m going to be on the look out for the cloth ones I mentioned you can use while working out. Keep up the hard work it will pay off 🙂

3. stephanie m. July 24, 2014 at 2:55 pm - Reply

This was such a great read. I feel too many people are always so quick to want to lose weight yet dont want to put in the work. I know you mentioned detoxes but my question is how do you feel about herbal cleanses. I ask because i have considered doing a cleanse from a line called Advocare in addition to my working out and eating clean. Do you think these are really worth the money? Thanks!

• somayar July 30, 2014 at 10:39 am - Reply

There is no true way to “cleanse” your body 100%! You would have to die, and be reborn to get back to your natural state. What you can do is eat clean and take detoxing foods along the way. The truth is that cleanses are often meant to dehydrate your body to a point that the scale is showing “pounds lost” but it’s not actual FAT. It is all water weight. For a realistic long term weight loss goal you have to eat clean, detox with detox type of foods, and drink lots of water. Eliminating all the garbage out of your life is what it comes down to.

4. Tinal July 25, 2014 at 5:07 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for reiterating what I have been saying since this thing has become so “popular”. When my friends started using it I told them that it was dangerous and none of them believed me. Personally, I knew it was bullshit from the beginning and the history behind the corset goes to show that it damages bodies. Like many people I’m a little chunky, I want to lose the excess weight but I hate working out but I would never do anything purposely that I knew was going to harm my internal organs and bruise me skin. I’m just say, but Thanks again for keeping it #REAL

• somayar July 30, 2014 at 10:06 am - Reply

No problem love! That’s why my movement is called a “realistic approach to fitness” because it touches REAL world topics and a realistic approach.

5. Shawna Garcia July 25, 2014 at 5:08 pm - Reply

Thank you Somaya. I do own a waist cincher and wear it ONLY while I workout…it helps with my posture and to sweat more. I will never ever wear it more than 2hours(the length of my training session) I have lost some inches…but I attribute most of that to eating clean and working out appropriately. Thank you for your honesty on the subject. I have struggled with my weight the better part of 20 yes(I’m 38) And for the first time I am feeling comfortable on my skin. I did heed the side effects and make sure I don’t abuse the cincher…it is latex with the soft cloth lining. Thank you again for your words. Much appreciated. #Fitmom

• somayar July 30, 2014 at 10:05 am - Reply

It’s due to you exercising and eating clean not the corset. I am glad you are not using it all the time. Trust me on this. It’s not good for you and it leads to depression.

6. Chante' B July 25, 2014 at 5:09 pm - Reply

Thank you so much Somaya! I have a corset but I haven’t been consistent with it to even know if it works but thank you so much fir the eye opener! I wanted to know how you felt about Herbalife products?

7. Quin Foster July 25, 2014 at 5:12 pm - Reply

I try to tell my friends about this too. I have an exercise corset, the kind u speak of and that’s it. I don’t even use it that often. I lost weight by eating right and exercising…waay before this fad started. So if I did it without gimmicks before then I can do it again.

8. Mai July 25, 2014 at 5:28 pm - Reply

Hi somaya I’d first like to say you look amazing and thanks for the topic it was very informative I would like to know what are your views on the it works body wraps ? If you could shine some light on the situation I would love to know what your thoughts are.

• somayar July 30, 2014 at 10:04 am - Reply

It’s also a scheme. Skip it! You don’t need it.

9. Lea July 25, 2014 at 5:28 pm - Reply

Thank you!!!

10. Rhea July 27, 2014 at 11:56 pm - Reply

Ok so I bought one the other day and tried it out I can’t lie it hurt so bad I haven’t used it since. I have a little stomach but rather loose it the old fashion way with some sit ups and eating right. And you are right cinchers are used most to look curvy and sexy for awhile. Can’t lie Somaya your blog has some good things that can help me reach my goal of loosing 45lbs and I want to do it right

• somayar July 30, 2014 at 10:03 am - Reply

YOU GO GIRL!! It’s ok. Look. We have all done these ridiculous things in the name of beauty. We are women, that’s what we do. All you have to do now is learn to eat clean and try your best to workout. Don’t give up.

11. Sake July 28, 2014 at 2:58 pm - Reply

Thanks so much for this article Somaya! Its truly an eye opener…Did you happen to find out about the cloth waist trainers? I currently use a waist cincher and it helps me to walk straight. I’d love to know of other brands because I need more and I don’t want to fall into those waist trainers that are bad for everyone.

• somayar July 30, 2014 at 9:59 am - Reply

I’m working on it now hun! I do know where they sell them but I am trying to figure out how to get them at a discounted price for you guys. They are pretty expensive. But I am negotiating a deal now.

12. kim July 29, 2014 at 12:12 am - Reply

wow!! first blog post i read here.. loveeee the realness!!!

Leave A Response