Does it really matter what time you should stop eating in order to lose weight? YES!! It does. But…..This is a controversial question up for debate. Many doctors say to go with what your schedule allows. Other doctors say that the traditional 9-5 working class should stop eating by 7:00 pm. Due to odd schedules, the kids, late College classes, 2 part time jobs and other factors in many peoples busy lives. This varies person to person. If you work the graveyard shift. Are you not supposed to eat because it’s at night from 12 midnight till 8 am? Are these people crazy? That makes no logical sense to me!
Let me share my personal story on what happens to me regarding this subject.
What I have learned is that you should stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed. On days where I am up by 6:00am and ready for bed at 11:00pm. I usually will stop eating at 8:00 – 9:00 pm. If i’m up at 10am and up till 1:00 or 2:00 am i’ll still be snacking until 10:00 – 11:00 pm. I go by MY TIME! Not by these traditional rules that were imposed on us and made up by a round table of uptight stuffy “experts” who ONLY live a daytime schedule and don’t have busy lives like the rest of the world. That is NOT realistic!
I use my rule of thumb, eat the lightest meal for dinner and wait at least 3 hours before going to bed. I have noticed when I stop eating at least 3 hours before I go to bed, I don’t wake up bloated or gain weight. When I eat later than usual I notice that it sits in me throughout the entire week. So in my experience I would suggest to stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed. How many of you have had an exhausting day, didn’t make time to eat, got home to finally eat, went into a food coma directly after eating and then went straight to bed? Many of you. Don’t feel alone, I have done that too. When I was filming with Vh1, there were times the filming atmosphere was so mentally & emotionally draining, that I would skip my meals all day, then got home to eat whatever I could, or order on the way home, and went straight to bed soon after I ate. That’s when I gained the most weight. Eating at the wrong times, the wrong foods and not properly is what will make you gain weight! If you work late I would use your common sense on when is a good time to stop eating before you go to bed. Also, I don’t recommend anyone to stop eating super early like 6:00pm that’s ridiculous and NOT realistic!!! You will be starving and it will cause you to snack like a maniac late at night. YOU WILL BINGE! We all know what will happen if you snack late at night right? You WILL gain lots and lots of unwanted pounds. When you stop eating 3 hours before bed, you don’t have to worry about weight gain.
Here are some times on tips to help you stop eating late:
- Drink lots of water all day!!! Have at least one glass ( I drink 2 every night) of water before bed. Yes you will be peeing during the night but you will be full and wake up with a flat tummy.
- Make your last meal light but full of protein and make sure to eat dark greens like spinach, kale or even a dark green salad. This is great for digestion and will keep you full.
- Try to schedule your lunch and dinner early on. That way you will keep yourself on track and not eat into the later evening. If you work late, pay close attention of not eating 3 hours before you go to bed.
- Don’t eat white flour carbs at night, heavy creams, sugary deserts, or drink heavy liquors, sodas and sugary juices. Asides from stating the obvious (they are not good for your fitness & health journeys) they will sit heavy in you and take a long time to process.
- Don’t eat anything that will make you feel as if though “you didn’t eat enough” if it is your last meal of the day, have something that is filling and meals you will enjoy!