I’m sure you’ve already read this post on the important things you must do during pregnancy to prepare for baby, here’s five more things you definitely need to do maintain good health while pregnant.
1. Get prenatal care early from your OB/GYN or find one at your area hospital or clinic. Click here to find one near you.
2. Sign up for WIC. WIC is a program designed for pregnant mothers (and children up to age 5) to help them get extra healthy food and serves as a resource for different types of programs like health education, breastfeeding information, and support. Click here for more information on how to qualify and find the WIC office in your area.
3. Stop drinking alcohol, smoking and using illegal drugs. Participating in these activities can cause major defects in your unborn baby, such as Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, deformities, prematurity, still birth and much more.
4. Try to eliminate stressors in your life. Don’t be afraid to talk to someone or to get help if need it. Whether it be an abusive relationship, work, school, etc. reducing or eliminating stress can make for a more healthier pregnancy. Sometimes something as simple as take a pregnancy yoga class and help ease your mind and body after a long, stressful day of work.
5. At any sign of a problem or discomfort, don’t be afraid to call your doctor. This is a very fragile time where you want to make sure you are protecting yourself and baby, so if you are experiencing things like swollen legs, constant headaches, labored breathing or stomach pains call your doctor. No problem is too small.
Ladies, you have a great responsibility to take of the life that is growing inside of your body. Consider the above tips as you travel down the road to motherhood.
Photo source: vivahealthcentre.com